Anew stage of the Iraqi political scene has returned concerning the formation of the largest bloc of blocs and political parties after the announcement of the end of the process of manual sorting and counting to begin the course of meetings and understandings and exchange of views that began after 12 May 2018, which did not reach the clear constants and stages because of different political visions to understand the Iraqi political reality and how to deal with the next general scene in Iraq and the divergence of common interests sought by political parties and blocs to satisfy some of the international and regional parties that are linked to them and working to maintain and strengthen the relationship with them.
Hence, many of the priorities were emerged on which all Iraqi politicians have to work within the effective approaches to take upon itself the principles of joint action and continued understanding and the proper vision to lead Iraq to the coming crucial stage of the lives of Iraqis and on the basis of this analytical vision , we can shed light on the nature of the political situation in Iraq and will be a clear and binding picture for the political parties and blocs in the formation of the next Iraqi government according to the following:
1. The popular uprising, with all its popular features, strength and continuity, remains an important factor that casts its shadow on the next political, social and economic program of the Iraqi government. This is the obsession that distracts some politicians because it uncovers their interests, affiliations, relationships and political goals.
2. Abide by goals, orientations and demands of the masses that have become a general trend representing the independent popular will in the search for an independent Iraqi government with the ability to enforce the Iraqi decision and make it based on criteria that serve the people and seek to develop the living conditions in all areas and life fields of Iraqis away from the partisan and factional interests of the political parties and blocs .
3. Political differences still govern the political relations governing the relations between the previous alliances witnessed by the governments formed after the US invasion of Iraq, there is no presence for the national coalition or the Union of Sunni forces or the Kurdistan Alliance because of the political events witnessed by Iraq in recent years in addition to the nature of interactions and political visions in dealing with these events and the lack of a common vision of all the allies, which reflected negatively on the continuation of alliances and relations .
4. All of them faced challenges created by the religious Marja in Iraq after several speeches addressed to Iraqi politicians, the need to adhere to important and serious priorities in the selection of the next prime ministry and its person who has to have important aspects related to his leading ability of courage and firmness and a clear reading of the painful reality of Iraq and the need to advance and move towards the creation of new standards governing the political process and commitment to the demands of the masses.
5. The international role of the field vision of the situation in Iraq, which was referred to by the representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in Iraq (Jan Kubic) at the meeting of the Security Council in August 8, 2018, in which he referred to the political system in Iraq based on sectarian quotas, which was considered by protesters as a form of corruption, imbalance and stagnation and expressing their disapproval of foreign interference in the internal affairs of Iraq, this makes it imperative for the larger bloc that Iraqi politicians seek to stay away from sectarian norms that have controlled political life in Iraq over the past 15 years.
6. The international and regional factor remains the main and fundamental factors in guiding the next rudder in the formation of the Iraqi Prime Ministry and the selection of its president because of the vital American interests in Iraq and the continuation of American political support for the political system in Baghdad with the growing and presence of Iranian influence and hegemony over the political , security an economic situation in Iraq, both of which seek a next strategic ally to meet their ambitions and political goals in Iraq, and there must be international and regional consensus to announce the composition of the next Iraqi government and the selection of the head of its ministries.
These are the main features that form the political structure that everyone should consider in the formation of the next Iraqi government. Will the current Iraqi politicians be able to understand and realize these meanings and indications and act accordingly, or will their interests and personal goals be the priorities of their next political work?
Iraqi Studies Unit
Rawabet Center for Research and Strategic Studies